Top 15 Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Last 15 Years
Stratacuity was founded in 2001 to bring talent to companies pioneering cures for chronic and deadly diseases. To help celebrate our 15th anniversary as a staffing outsourcing firm to biotech, we have compiled a few Top 15 lists.
Creating our version of the top scientific innovations since our founding was a tough job; another observer could easily pick an entirely different and still valid list. That’s what makes this industry so exciting—we are at the forefront of an incredible era of scientific, technological, and clinical discoveries that will shape the future of healthcare for generations to come.
- Genentech’s Herceptin makes great strides in treating breast cancer, receiving FDA approval to include, on label, women with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer. (2001)
- The introduction of Imatinib (Gleevec) opens a new era of successful treatment for chronic myelogenous leukemia, putting an end to treatments with serious side effects and limited success in survival past one year. (2001)
- Mapping of the Human Genome completed. (2003)
- FDA approves first HIV cocktail pill. Developed by Atripla, it combines three antiretroviral drugs into one treatment. (2006)
- Stem cell research makes a real-world impact. A seven-year-old boy has altered stem cells placed back in his bone marrow to halt the progress of a fatal brain disease. Doctors at Newcastle University, U.K. generate a "mini-liver” from cord blood stem cells. (2006)
- The FDA approves the first HPV vaccine, Gardasil, to protect females ages nine to 26 against cervical, vaginal, vulvar, and anal cancers and genital warts caused by the human papilloma virus. (2006)
- First facial transplant in the United States completed at the Cleveland Clinic for Connie Culp, the victim of a gunshot wound. (2008)
- Researchers from the J. Craig Venter Institute announce the world's first synthetic cell, JCV1-syn1.0. (2010)
- The FDA approves ivacaftor (Kalydeco®) for people with the G551D mutation of Cystic Fybrosis (CF) ages six and older. The drug is the first to address the underlying cause of CF, opening new doors to research and development. (2012)
- Proteus Biomedical releases the first smart pill. The company receives FDA approval for its ingestible sensors that track medication use by recording the identity and timing of ingestion. (2012)
- Organovo, a company founded to build human tissues, delivers its first product, human liver tissue. (2014)
- Approval of the first malaria vaccine, developed by GlaxoSmithKline and the PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative. (2015)
- Surgeons implant the world’s first bionic eye in an 80-year-old man in the United Kingdom. (2015)
- Promising new therapies for heart disease earn FDA approval, including Entresto™, which reduces the risk of death from heart disease by 20 percent, and a new class of cholesterol fighters, PSCK9 inhibitors that have been shown to reduce bad LDL 50 to 70 percent. (2015)
- Cancer survivor Thomas Manning is the first man to receive a penis transplant. The surgery is part of a research program with the ultimate goal of helping combat veterans with severe pelvic injuries, as well as cancer patients and accident victims. (2016)
Recent Placements By Stratacuity
- Quality Assurance Specialist (Contract), Cambridge, MA. Commercially-successful global biotechnology company focused on treatments for serious diseases
- Manager, Clinical Supply Chain, Demand & Planning (Contract), Cambridge, MA. Innovative biopharma committed to treating cancer and rare diseases
- Sr. Regulatory Affairs Consultant (Contract), Greater Boston Area. Clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering and developing cancer drugs
- Sr. Quality Assurance / Quality Control Manager, Cambridge, MA. Clinical-stage pharmaceutical company dedicated to innovative treatments for ocular diseases
- Associate Director, Clinical Operations, Boston, MA. Pioneering biotech company with a focus in oncology
- Senior Director, Pharm Tox Immuno-oncology, Cambridge, MA. Early-stage biotech developing a next-generation immunotherapy platform to treat cancer
- Clinical Data Manager, Cambridge, MA. Clinical-stage immuno-oncology biotech
News To Use
Stratacuity’s Managed Services Program Continues To Grow!
Stratacuity's Managed Services Program has grown by over 400 percent in the past year adding even greater value to our Contract Staffing group.
With Managed Services, Stratacuity handles all of your contingent workforce hires.
Managed Services' centralization simplifies and optimizes contract workforce management. So, if you like the benefits of using contractors but don’t like managing multiple vendors, Stratacuity’s Managed Services Program (MSP) may be a great option for you.
Additionally, here are five more reasons to choose Stratacuity’s Managed Services.
Reason #1: Biopharmaceutical and staffing expertise translates to faster hiring, lower cost, and greater quality
- Stratacuity recruiters apply our Proven Scientific Placement™ process to source and qualify exceptional talent. Much more than resume sorters, they proactively recruit talent and uncover drivers so you’ll know what’s in our candidates' heads. Our process yields on-target candidates who are excited about your opportunity.
- Our recruiters have scientific backgrounds, and unlike other MSP providers who spread their efforts over multiple industries, we exclusively serve biopharmaceutical companies. Our specialists know your science and recruit from a highly cultivated pool of talent.
- Our team supports Discovery & Preclinical, Technical Operations, Clinical Development & Operations, and Regulatory Affairs & Quality Assurance. Through our allied vendor network, we staff Legal, Finance, HR, Sales & Marketing, and IT.
Reason #2: One point of contact enhances operational efficiency
- While Stratacuity directly recruits most of your hires, we partner with our carefully-vetted network of allied vendors to ensure we meet your program’s goals. As a result, you get the same level of quality that you expect, while benefiting from Stratacuity’s single point of contact.
- With only one contract to sign, we ensure all vendors meet or exceed your requirements and audit them to make sure your legal interests remain protected.
- We simplify your life by consolidating invoices for all contract employees. So you only pay one itemized and validated invoice per pay period.
Reason #3: Business intelligence on your program promotes better decisions
- We measure and analyze several hiring metrics to deliver insight that drives performance improvement and better decision making.
Reason #4: Strict compliance avoids audits, penalties, and lawsuits
- We strictly comply with federal and local labor laws. Stratacuity’s program monitoring ensures the conformity of onboarding and offboarding, screening, verification, employment eligibility, and 1099 activities. This oversight minimizes your exposure to violations, findings, fines, and lawsuits.
Reason #5: Standardized PTO increases workplace continuity and fosters staff harmony
- Managed Services brings all of your contract workforce onto the same schedule. This decreases bookkeeping errors and employee confusion, while increasing contract employee satisfaction.
To learn more about our MSP offering, contact a Stratacuity specialist today: firstname.lastname@example.org or (603) 766-0600.