Senior Director, Search and Evaluation 1334091
Location: Bethesda, MD or possibly remote with travel 1-2 times/month
Science: Genetic disease
Therapeutic Areas: Genetic disease
Job Overview: The Senior Director, Search and Evaluation (S&E) will support the Research Affairs and Investment teams in the scientific evaluation of cutting-edge Mission Related Investments (MRI) opportunities. The Senior Director will have an exceptional opportunity to interface with some of the world’s most impressive scientists, entrepreneurs, and biotech companies developing genetic medicines. The Senior Director role will be a high visibility, leadership position with routine collaboration with the C-suite and directly interact with senior Program Officers to help select and manage these programs.
- Management and oversight of the search and evaluation team and scientific due diligence activities including the evaluation of technical feasibility, competitive differentiation, preclinical and clinical development, and team capabilities, etc. Expertise in the interpretation and management of CMC, toxicology, scientific budgets, and timeline assessments highly valued.
- Serve as the technical lead and point of contact, working closely with the investment team to coordinate the review of prospective investment company’s materials and virtual data rooms.
- Prepare and present due diligence analyses and recommendations in a structured and clear format to a broad internal audience.
- Oversee the S&E team’s sourcing, engagement, and direction of leading subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Work with diverse scientific team on development program and oversight processes requisite for successful leading edge scientific projects.
- Provide key inputs from diligence to inform the development plans in coordination with the internal team, company executives and outside clinical and medical experts.
- Represent the team by attending key technical and/or partnering conferences.
- Support the development of strategic frameworks and sophisticated theses based on primary and secondary research on various therapeutic modalities.
- Work closely with the investment, program advisory, and project management teams to define milestones and other key contractual terms for prospective investments.
- 8-10 years of experience in a search and evaluation role at a biopharma or venture capital firm with a clear track record of supporting the evaluation and closing of impactful deals in the biopharma industry.
- Ph.D., M.D., M.D./Ph.D. or equivalent in the biological sciences, working knowledge of core concepts in gene therapy such as gene insertion, gene editing, and/or gene delivery is a plus.
- Profound scientific and intellectual curiosity – a deep enthusiasm to evaluate a wide variety of life science innovation and novel technologies.
- Exceptional capability to lead cross-functional and diverse teams on a wide-range of complex projects.
- Exceptional work ethic with a commitment to developing a wide range of skills and responsibilities.
- Ability to synthesize information from various sources and critically evaluate alternative approaches.
- Ability to prepare well-written, well-organized material and present recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to effectively manage an S&E team and to foster the development of junior colleagues.
- High emotional intelligence with a strong ability to interface with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to collaborate and be creative with a professional and positive approach.
- Ability to take courageous, decisive action and make timely and independent decisions that are in the best interests of the Foundation.
- Reports to Executive Vice President, Chief Scientific Officer.
- Direct reports: Manager/Senior Manager(s), Search and Evaluation; Search and Evaluation Fellows.
- Opportunity to work remotely or hybrid dependent on applicant location.
- Travel up to 25% of time to attend investor, partnering, and scientific conferences and meetings, as necessary.
Whether you are seeking a career change or simply interested in becoming part of our network, you will appreciate the ethics guiding each Stratacuity team member. We build lasting relationships with exceptional biopharmaceutical talent and take great care to protect your personal information. Upon receiving your inquiry, you may be directly contacted by a Stratacuity team member to discuss your career goals. We will not share your information with anyone without your direct prior consent.
PROVEN SCIENTIFIC PLACEMENT™
Stratacuity is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stratacuity will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact us.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 844-463-6178.